Important Update: Beginning September 1, 2013, OCLC’s Contract Cataloging Services will begin creating WorldCat records for Wiley's titles using the RDA standard. Download Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for more information. If there are any additional questions regarding the receipt of records created via the RDA standard, please contact OCLC at email@example.com.
MARC is the acronym for MAchine-Readable Cataloging. It defines a data format by which computers exchange, use, and interpret bibliographic information, and its data elements make up the foundation of most library online public access catalogs used today.
Institutions that have purchased Wiley Electronic Major Reference Works or Blackwell Reference Online are entitled to receive free MARC records via OCLC WorldCat. Institutions that have purchased Wiley Online books will receive Enhanced MARC records which include additional Table-of-Content data also via OCLC WorldCat.
Please follow these steps to receive your MARC records:
- Create a World Catalog Partners profile on OCLC's WorldCat Cataloging Partners website. Customers in North America can complete the form online. Customers outside of North America will need to complete this PDF file and email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to: 1-888-339-3921. You will only need to do this once. It is highly recommended that you use the pre-order checklist before completing the profile form.
- OCLC will set up the WCP profile and you will receive an email message with your logon credentials and OCLC symbol.
- Alternatively, you may choose to purchase Collection Sets. You will need to complete an order form each time you order a collection. You may select more than one collection for each order. With both "pick and choose" and "Collection Sets", once an order has processed, the file(s) will be made available for retrieval on OCLC's Product Services Web or via FTP (EDX) using their cataloging for FirstSearch authorization.
- After an order has been placed from Wiley, the orders are automatically batched and sent to OCLC at the end of each US business day. You should receive the email notifying you to pick up your records within 24 to 48 hours after the order is received by OCLC.
- After you have received the email, you can now retrieve your MARC records by using your OCLC cataloging or FirstSearch authorization and password, you will need to download the file(s) by performing the following steps:
- Go to OCLC's Product Services Web at http://psw.oclc.org/
- Click on "download records and reports"
- Click on "OCLC WorldCat Cataloging Partners labels, records and reports"
- Enter in your OCLC authorization and password
- You will see your file(s) listed
- Click "Download" next to the file(s) name
- Please note that the MARC files are ASCII text and end in a .bin filename extension.
- Upon download, you may rename the file to end in a different extension (such as .mrc or .dat) without corrupting the file.
- Records will be delivered at no extra cost to libraries.
- Libraries will be eligible to receive records regardless of whether the library has an OCLC cataloging or CatExpress subscription. However you will need an OCLC symbol. If you do not have a symbol, contact email@example.com.
- If you do not wish to set up a WCP profile, MARC records can also be obtained via "Subject collections", which are delivered through OCLC's WorldCat Collection Sets.
- Libraries are required to complete a collection sets order form and scan it and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Blackwell Reference Online is also delivered as a Collection set.
- To do a quick and easy check on which titles currently have a MARC record, please review the Online Books title listing as shown below and check the column "OCLC#", those with a code have a MARC profile ready for download.
- If the title is new, the record could be missing because the catalogue record has not yet been created. It usually takes OCLC two to four weeks to do the cataloguing once the title goes live on the Online Library. Once the cataloguing has been completed, the control numbers will be loaded into the Wiley system and any orders that have been placed for those titles will have their MARC records delivered automatically.
- Libraries' holdings will be set in WorldCat.
- The OCLC MARC records provided for the Online Books in this service are enhanced and include the tables of content. They use OCLC Bibliographic Formats and Standards following the ISO 2709 standard. Records for eMRWs are not enhanced.
- Libraries that prefer to work with their own local MARC records vendors can do so however Wiley has chosen OCLC as our preferred vendor. The free records are only available by working with OCLC.
- Wiley will provide the basic MARC records for our customers. Unfortunately, we cannot accommodate requests for customized records at this time. OCLC may provide a service which you can utilize. Please visit the OCLC website: http://www.oclc.org/worldcat/support/ or contact email@example.com for details.
Should you need assistance in obtaining an OCLC authorization or retrieving your files(s) you may contact OCLC customer support:
Phone: +1-800-848-5800 (USA Toll Free) or +1-614793-8682 (USA)
Other enquiries on Wiley MARC records please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Information and ideas to help promote Wiley online content to library users.
Information on publishing with Wiley.
Wiley helps professional and scholarly societies succeed in today's changing information landscape with two centuries of publishing expertise.
Find breaking news from Wiley Publishing and search an archive of press releases in the Wiley Press Room.